Monday, December 7, 2009

436) Bloodsport (1988)



436) Bloodsport (1988) Dir: Newt Arnold Date Released: February 1988 Date Seen: December 7, 2009 Rating: 3.5/5

Bloodsport is a special kind of vintage '80s cheese that I can admit is not very good but I can also enjoy in spite of that knowledge. There are almost certainly better films from the period that qualify as great entertainment for overheated adolescent American male minds but I choose not to think about them right now. Everything about Bloodsport has become so badly dated and hence neutered in its severity that I can't help but forgive it for being so, well, bad. I want to believe its macho, pseudo-serious posturing about respecting tradition and look past the ridiculous homo-eroticism that continues to haunt JCVD's supposedly better films. I can't for the most part but I'm stubborn enough to lie to myself, at least while I'm watching it.


No comments:

Post a Comment