Monday, April 4, 2011

302) Machete (2010)

302) Machete (2010) Dir: Robert Rodriguez and Ethan Maniquis Date Released: September 2010 Date Seen: September 26, 2010 Rating: 3.5/5

I'm always surprised at the venom that some of Rodriguez's films inspire. This to me was only slightly less satisfying than Planet Terror but in some ways, it's better. For instance, I love the fact that for once, Rodriguez actually made a grindhouse movie that's about something. It's not just a mindless homage to various disparate grindhouse elements, it's a movie that, like those exploitation movies, stands for something. He gets sloppy when trying to make his point about illegal immigration come across but I think that's true of most exploitation filmmakers. He's not an inspired craftsman, just an enjoyably spazzy one with signature preoccupations and quirks (a poor man's auteur, sure, but he is one, certainly). I had a lot of fun with this and that's saying a lot because I was expecting a lot worse based on the reviews I skimmed before seeing it.

Also, what the crap are you people smoking re: Steven Seagal's performance? He's as terrible as he ever was in this. Because he's Steven fucking Seagal. Mind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment